Was the 3/13/06 rollback in Guild Wars a good idea?

Administrators will post any polls to display on the main page here

Moderator: ShiningSquirrel

Yes, I agree with it.
44%
No, it sucked.
No votes
There was a roll back?
44%
What's Guild Wars?
11%

Total votes: 9

ShiningSquirrel
Site Admin
Site Admin
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę

Post by ShiningSquirrel »

As you may or may not know, the devs rolled back the GW servers to correct an error in the price othe merchants where charging for some items. Example, 250 GP for a superior absorption rune.
The problem was caused by a server crash, but when the server was "fixed" the prices where set low, and many players took advantage of the low prices to purchase hundreds of items at rock bottom prices.
The devs decided to roll back the servers to a time before the error appeared to correct it.
This meant all prices where restored to what they where, all quests, item drops, etc that where obtained where lost, and all items purchased where returned to the merchnts and gold refunded.
The servers where offline for most of the evening while this was done.
What do you think? Was it the right thing for the devs to do?
ImageImage

dahaka
Family Pet
Family Pet

Re: Was the 3/13/06 rollback in Guild Wars a good idea?

Post by dahaka »

well i voted i didnt know there was one...because i wasnt on too much yesterday then left only to come back to c the server down,but now i vote yes because if they didnt everythng would be worthless,blk dye would be like finding gold,and prices of most items would skyrocket uncontrollibly and everythng that would b ez to buy would be impossible

Damitman911
The Game Master
The Game Master

Post by Damitman911 »

Well, I never thought I would say let alone type it, but I think someone at guild wars got a f##king clue. There might be hope after all. The roll back was the only choice that made sense. Hats off to the brainyack that finally decided to stand upright and stop dragging there knuckles on the ground. I hope that the guys that made this decision are in charge of the second edtion of guild wars.

Libra
Agro Master
Agro Master

Post by Libra »

Well I have to say that I agree with the rollback it was the only thing they could do. The game has an economy and an error like that would just shoot the whole thing in the foot. The only bad part of the rollback for players would be if you had just completed some of the more difficult missions/quests or just got ascended and had to do them over again.